I made this really tasty recipe again for a friend who donated us a radiator for our kitchen. It’s super lemony and has a lot of sugar in which of course makes it really tasty! It’s adapted slightly from a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (River Cottage) recipe.
150g of slightly salted butter
25g vegetable oil
150g granulated sugar
Zest of 2-3 lemons
175g plain flour
150g icing sugar
75ml lemon juice
- Whisk butter, oil, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs with a little of the flour to help prevent curdling.
- Fold in the flour.
- Put mixture into a lined and greased loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes @ fan 160 oC.
- Meanwhile mix lemon juice and icing sugar.
- Skewer cake whilst still hot and slowly add mixture over the top allowing it to seep into the holes before adding more.
- Remove from tin once cool. Eat!
I would show you a picture of it sliced (with some fresh cream and lemon curd, mmm) but because it’s a gift for someone, I can’t really do that! So this will have to suffice instead: