So I was on a baking extravaganza a week Saturday. I made this super tasty applesauce to make it easier to make vegan cakes. I looked up recipes online but just ended up making it up. Here’s my recipe and it is absolutely delicious. I could eat it on its own. It did kinda remind me of baby food – but that’s no bad thing right? Great in sandwiches, with dessert, with salads, breakfast, with falafels and burgers…..
- 3x Bramley cooking apples
- a cinnamon stick
- a good few shakes of grated nutmeg
- about 150mls water
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Put enough water in a pan to cover the base by about 1/2cm. You don’t want it too wet but you also don’t want the apples to stick to the base of the pan.
- Add the sliced apples. Start to cook down for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on a low heat for around 20 minutes, stirring regularly until almost all the apple has become mushy.
- Take off the heat to cool a little. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Mash well until mixture becomes smooth. You could of course keep it lumpy if you like but I wanted an even texture for baking.
I didn’t add any extra sugar as I would prefer to control this in the recipe I use it in. I didn’t think it needed any anyway. I put some in a jar in the fridge and some in measured quantities in the freezer.