After last weeks Vegan Cherry and Almond Brownies I had an urge to have another go at something a little bit different and for some reason I thought that prunes would be a great idea. I wouldn’t say that I was wrong but nor was I right either.
These were slightly better overall I would say than the BBC Good Food version above, mainly with vast improvements being made in the not-so-crumbly category but they didn’t quite have the depth of flavour I was hoping for.
So here’s my recipe.
MDM’s Prune and Almond Brownies
2 tbsp chia seeds
8 tbsp water
2 tbsp soya milk
2 tsp hemp powder
80g vegan margarine such as Vitalite
120g dark chocolate
75g soft brown sugar
75g caster sugar
70g ground almonds
40g cocoa powder
120g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g chopped dried prunes
- Switch fan oven onto 150°C fan and line and grease a 10×8″ baking tray.
- Mix the chia seeds, water, soya milk and hemp powder to make an MDM vegan egg. Mix up well and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- In a large saucepan melt the chocolate and margarine and allow to cool a little.
- Add the sugar into this and stir well. Add the MDM egg and mix well.
- Add the flour, almonds, cocoa powder and baking powder and mix. Stir in the chopped prunes.
- Put in the tray, levelling the surface and cook in the oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out almost, but not quite clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then cut into pieces. Allow to cool in the tray.
- Eat. Or eat when they are cool enough to put in your mouth.
I’m not a great fan of raisins especially in cooking and the prunes tasted a little too close to raisins for comfort. These were quite good in consistency but lacked a little gooiness and the crispy top. Dropping the sugar helped a lot from the previous ones I made. These have actually made me go back and downgrade the last ones.
These were definitely missing something. I think it could be that eggy richness. Time to get my thinking cap on as to what I could use to replace that.
Here’s the verdict:
- Cakiness: 8
- Crispy top: 6.5
- Chocolateyness: 8
- Sweetness: 8
- Ease of making: 8
- Ingredient complexity: 6.5
- Overall taste: 7.5